Saturday, July 23, 2011

brothers

For those of you who have never had siblings I pity you because you don't know what you're missing out on. Norbert was my younger brother who was born in December 1954 just after Christmas. I was born the previous year in August. We share the same room for years. It wasn't until 1972 or 1973 that we each had our own room but in light of his sudden and unexpected death in March 1974 I often wonder whether having our own rooms was a mistake! In the photo above, I am on the left, Norbert is on the right. We had just come from a children's birthday party on the ship. That's the only image I have of us in party hats!
Norbert had taken a bath after we had spent some time chatting about travel in the dining room. It was at the table I last saw him alive. In what had unfolded in the bathroom ended in his taking his life. There was no warning. It just happened and we were all affected afterwards in different ways. The emotions are as fresh today as they were then.
If you have brothers or sisters, cherish the moments together. You just never know when they end and you're left with the memories! Make those memories good ones!!! And we don't really know how much we miss them until afterwards!
The photos above were taken by my father on our crossing of the Atlantic on the ship, the Arosa Star, in June 1957. We had left from Bremerhaven, Germany and landed in Montreal, Canada. They bring back pleasant memories more than worth remembering! - V

4 comments:

the island guy said...

Awe, thanks for sharing this tragic yet beautiful story from your life

Volker said...

I am overcome with emotion every time I tell this story or look at the photos. Some day we'll know the whys, just not in this life time! I could go on but not at this moment! - Volker

the island guy said...

From guy to guy (LOL, get it?), I understand your feelings without you having to tell me. Brothers leave fingerprints without even knowing it.

Volker said...

I get it, really I do! Have a look at my next post. I think you'll like that one too! - V