Monday, February 16, 2009

Needlepoint

When my mother was alive, she was into doing all sorts of handiwork, such as needlepoint, crocheting, etc. I have six pictures that she did. This is just a sampling. Rembrandt's "Nightwatch" appears above (the original oil painting hangs in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, The Netherlands). The interesting thing about this painting is that the most important people of them time are in the background and others, far less important, are in the foreground. This caused a stir at the time as you can well imagine. The needlepoint version is certainly a lovely piece and very colourful. It took my mother six months or more to complete this work and she swore that would be the last one. That turned out to be the case too! The others have their charm as well. For the moment, they're not up on the wall yet but this is planned for the future. For the moment, they're leaning up against the wall. I just thought I would share this aspect of my heritage with you, so its not all photography and such with me!

2 comments:

MAC said...

She was definitely a talented woman, there all so beautiful. What a wonderful gift to leave behind. XXOO MAC

Volker said...

She passed away ten years ago this July but her handiwork lives on and is so appreciated!