Monday, March 16, 2009

Our feathered friends - birds

One of my favourite past times is birdwatching, something I've done since my teenage years. I even raised some birds myself (Zebra Finches). That was in the late 1960s. In the early 1960s I had two pairs of colourful finches from India but they took off out the open window, this after managing to get themself out through the wire (gauge was more for larger birds like canaries). My mother had opened the window to air out the bedroom, so the temptation must have been too great. I can't say that I blame them much for that. Also, the fact that my father raised canaries probably had an influence but I enjoy observing nature and the life in it as well. Well, I took these photos on Sunday afternoon while at Vancouver's Stanley Park. Its hard to get birds like the chickadee to be still long enough to take a photo. You more or less have to anticipate their movements. That's a Black-capped Chickadee above (Poecile atricapilla) and a Chestnut-backed Chickadee below (Poecile rufescens).

Then there are the waterbirds like the ducks that frequent the Lost Lagoon in the park, such as the scaup above, but I don't know if that's a Lesser or Greater Scaup (Aythya affinis and Aythya marila respectively), so I'll have to check out my bird book more carefully.
Thats a pair of American Wigeons above (Anas americana) and a pair of Wood Ducks (Aix sponsa) below. In the bird world the male is usually the more colourful and this is certainly the case with the Wood Duck. Enjoy the pics! There'll be more to come as we get into spring!!!

No comments: