Sunday, December 27, 2009

more snow pics

During my first year here in the lower mainland of British Columbia once I got settled I was living in north Surrey. Toward the latter part of November 2006 this snowstorm started on a Friday and continued through the weekend. When the snow had stopped coming down, I took these photos. So in addition to the one that I sent Jared, here are some more from the series. Shots are taken through the livingroom and dining room windows facing east plus another window facing north. When the sun came out, it made for a surreal sight.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. Meantime, I did some research afterwards and learned that this is actually "normal" weather for this region. What has been the case for the last 50 years or so is actually above normal. That being said, the main roads were fine but side streets were not ploughed nor were parking lots. The apartment complex I lived in at the time never bothered to arrange for a plough and left the snow nature to melt. That took just over a week. People have no idea!

Back east in southwestern Ontario the main roads would have been cleared the first night and then the side streets would have been next. The streets and sidewalks would have been cleared within 2 - 3 days but then they have the equipment to move the snow, here they don't. It does look beautiful when untouched by man nor beast, so enjoy the pics. There will be more from the series at Haliaeetus, my other blog. I certainly welcome comments! - V.

No comments: