Wednesday, September 21, 2011

alpines and other flowers

Back in the spring of 1969 I started up a vegetable garden but I did grow some flowers too. I was 16 years of age at that time. Alpines were some of my favourites as you can see in the two photos here taken in the late 1970s. The one at the top is a Bell Flower (Campanula latifolia) and the one below is called Speedwell (Veronica longifolia). I started my collection from seed packets ordered from a Canadian seedhouse and progressed from there. Both grew easily from seed and eventually were found in various places around the garden (backyard). I even grew Edelweiss (Leontipodium alpinum) both from plants purchased from a local nursery and also from seed. At one point I had jars of seed that had been collected for sowing later. The alpines were later moved to a bed ahead of the front porch. In the late 1990s when that was overgrown, I replaced that planting with heathers. - V

No comments: