Tuesday, February 16, 2010

wrestling dudes and more!

The point of wrestling is to pin your opponent's shoulders to the mat for a specified period of time, right? In theory it sounds simple enough a task for two well-matched wrestlers but not necessarily.

John, a friend of mine from high school, was on the wrestling team, handsome and well suited to the sport. We hung around some together after high school during our free time, like for dinner, church services or even watching some hockey games in which a friend of his played (his friend had also joined us on occasion or the reverse). During one such game, Pierre, one of John's friends, skated up to the boards where I was standing watching the game with interest while chatting with John and others, put his hands under my armpits and lifted me up. It all happen so fast and I was up off the floor so quickly that it caught me by surprise but I also got a sense of Pierre's strength and learned to appreciate it. I've not seen either one of them for years.

My friend and former classmate got licensed to ride a motorbike after I did and we'd often ride our bikes to where we had to go. He eloped with a girl and was not seen again, not even a goodbye. His roommate at the time couldn't tell me what happened nor why. For me, I couldn't understand why someone would do that and not at least say a farewell.

Anyway, both guys would look great on a wrestling team together and I'd gladly wrestle either one of them, whether I win the match or not makes no difference. I think of them from time to time. And gee, the memories that are brought to mind by a simple photo. Oh, and keep in mind I was in my 30s at the time I last saw them both!!!

So, as a result of my various friendships and relationships in general, along with the high points and low points, I can greatly appreciate a deep, loving relationship. For this reason, and many others, Brad and I are drawn together to fulfill our destiny individually and collectively, if that makes any sense. - V.

No comments: