Saturday, August 15, 2009

pineapples

I bought a whole pineapple (Ananas comosus) back in May, kept the crown, trimmed it, let the base dry over night before setting the crown in a glass of water. The pineapple crown quickly grew a healthy root system and now has a well established crown of new leaves.
Here are some photos of the cutting that I prepared. Around the base of the leaves are the buds that would become the new roots, I'll post photos of the crown once I have it potted up. There have been two previous attempts to get a pineapple plant to flower but I do hope to succeed this time round as the conditions are much better for a successful conclusion. More to come!
Sunday, I am off for the hike up Hollyburn Mountain as the weather will be much better. I spent the afternoon shopping and then doing the laundry, so all that is behind me. Expect some great pics from the top of the mountain! - V.

No comments: